Monday, November 7, 2011

Pulse Rate

I am trying to remember to exercise because my resting heart rate is high.  I'm not good at remembering to do it because I tend to think that if I'm standing up, that counts as exercise.  I explained that to the last health coach who had the temerity to suggest exercise.  She said that for it to count for heart health, cardio-vascular improvement, I needed to exercise to the point where my heart beat faster while I was doing it.  I pointed out that I avoid that intentionally.   So my goal is to bring my resting heart rate down into the normal range on the blood pressure cuff I use.  My doctors and health coaches always point out that exercise is good and I keep thinking it is like going to the doctor and saying you hurt and they say, "Well, at your age..."
So I decided at med school they teach them to say that along with various versions of "you're fat."  Diet can take care of the fat thing, and I've been working on it.
But it makes sense to me that if my heart is working twice as hard as it needs to, it may mean that it won't continue to operate as long.  Or maybe that counts as exercise for the heart muscle as it is really busy all the time.  Probably the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment