Sunday, March 18, 2018

Growing Up

When I was growing up, my parents criticized every thing I said and did. It was usually prefaced by “Don’t be stupid.”  I was in the honor society in high school and three honor fraternities in college. So school was the good place for me. It was the place where I was appreciated. I stopped talking to my parents and I lied often trying to avoid consequences I thought were unfair. Actually I still think they were unfair. For example, my hair was oily but I was only allowed to wash it on Saturday so it would be clean for church on Sunday. When I was in college, I decided to quit lying because I was sure that I would survive the belt that would follow my “impertinence.” I was also told I was going to hell. When I married, I determined that my husband was not the enemy and I would neither lie nor hedge the truth. Lately, my husband has been critical of everything. So I stopped telling him things. Sometimes I would tell him something and he would tell me why it wouldn’t work. I told him I wanted him to tell me what would make it work. That black hat he was wearing wasn’t helpful. Before Larry went in the hospital, I ordered a shelf organizer. It came when he was in the hospital and I put it together and loaded it with cans. I didn’t mention it but I liked it and ordered another one yesterday. This morning he asked when I had gotten it. I told him. He said it was a good idea. So I told him I’ve ordered another one for soup cans. He nodded. Maybe with his improved health, the good husband is back!

No comments:

Post a Comment