Thursday, May 28, 2015

Ann Coulter's Hug Refusal

When I was growing up, I learned that shaking hands had rules. Between a man and woman, the woman offered a hand if she wanted to. Between two men, they both shook hands. Between two women, the older woman could initiate the handshake.
Nobody suggested it was good manners to hug total strangers.
As a teacher, little kids hugged me. Sometimes their parents, grandparents, and aunts hugged me.
Still, there was some kind of relationship, not total strangers asking for hugs.
Hugs are for family members and really good friends I haven't seen in a while...a year or so.
A hug has no meaning if it is given to a stranger. Nobody should demand a hug from a stranger, much less to put somebody on the spot.
The poor manners exhibited were not from Ann Coulter.


No comments:

Post a Comment