Tuesday, December 9, 2014

299 Days--I'm the Man

It is annoying to me to listen to or read a book that assumes that being a man means he's right. The main character keeps saying he's the man so he's prepping. Well, if I think prepping is a good idea, do I have to be a man? Wanting your family to be safe and have food in an emergency isn't gender specific. The state web sites have a fema link that encourages having emergency preparations. It doesn't mean a person has to be nuts (like some of the tv preppers), but it is only reasonable to be prepared for emergencies. I've been through two category ten hurricanes and been without electricity and water for a couple of weeks. My dad was several hundred miles away and was without power for a couple of weeks because all the power workers went to the hurricane area and couldn't fix their problems. So he bought a generator, a gas stove and gas heater in case it ever happened again. They were cold and didn't have any way to cook without power.
Last year we had an ice storm and couldn't get out of our driveway for a week and then it was because a neighbor came over with his tractor.
The story in 299 Days is interesting, but I really wish there were more strong female characters. I like sci-fi and fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment