Monday, June 4, 2012

Peach Cobbler Adaptation

I used low-carb bake mix for the flour, xantham gum instead of cornstarch, and splenda instead of sugar...the filling turned out fine, but the crust wasn't great.  I think next time I'll just make half as much crust using flour.  It will have to be lower-carb than making the full amount.  The xantham gum and splenda were both ok substitutes.
My neighbor told me how to make the cobbler in the first place.  She said to use a cup of flour, a cup of milk, a stick of butter, a tablespoon of cornstarch, and some peaches.
It made a good cobbler.  After I'd been making it with various fruits for a year or so, I thought I'd try mixing the flour and milk together with the butter.  Then mix the sugar, peaches and cornstarch together, and then combine them and cook them for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
It was even better.  When I told my neighbor about my discovery, she said, "Didn't you know to do that?"
Well, no.  And it was ok just dumping in all in a sheet cake pan. 
When my husband makes this cobbler, he adds cinnamon (except once he added cumin...they both start with c and end with n). 

No comments:

Post a Comment