Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Phone

Sometimes family members call on the land line.  I try to get to it.  Today I was deadheading roses, the phone rang (not the one in my pocket) and I dashed to get it.  It was somebody wanting money for a good cause.  The problem is that by the time I had hurried across the yard, up the steps, the length of the porch and answered the phone, I didn't care how good the cause was.  I especially don't care when it is somebody trying to act like he knows us because he asks to speak to my husband using his first name. I don't want to buy something over the phone unless I initiate the call.  I don't want anybody to check my credit for me, install a security system free, give me a free weekend somewhere but by the way, bring your checkbook. 
Sometimes I forget to take a phone with me at all.  It isn't because I don't want to talk to anybody, I just was thinking about something else and wasn't wondering if anybody was going to call. 
I can't work in the yard with my land line in my pocket.  Once it's dark, I'm in the house, but I might be in the tub.  Larry might be on the porch with the wireless headset on his head listening to tv.  I don't not answer on purpose, I'm not rude on purpose...but I really wish I could get people who don't know me to not call...at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment