Monday, January 27, 2014

Sweater Care

My cashmere sweaters say to dry clean or hand wash. I had them dry cleaned a few times but they weren't as fluffy cozy feeling. I use a mesh bag and put them in the washing machine on delicate with cold water.   I've tried hand washing but rolling them in a towel makes a lot of towels wet.  I tried delicate cycle on the washing machine with the lid up so they wouldn't spin. I decided the mesh bag keeps them from wrapping around the agitator or otherwise deforming the shape.  Then I put them on sweater racks to dry.  Sometimes I put them in the dryer (not when they are wet) for about five minutes to shake the wrinkles/lines from the sweater rack. 
I've used Woolite, but I've also used liquid Tide and the homemade diy laundry soap.  I use Downy or vinegar for fabric softener to cut the static cling.
I make sure I put them away clean in plastic bags for the off-season.  Last year I put them in the freezer for a few days in case of moths.

No comments:

Post a Comment