Thursday, November 24, 2011

Big Maggie, Little Maggie

At Thanksgiving I always make dressing.  When I do, I always think of Little Maggie.  My memory is somewhat like the white trash woman in The Help.  "White trash" is how the "society" women in the book think of her.  But her maid teaches her to cook, somewhat more successfully in the movie than in the book.  But this memory of mine predates the book or the movie, but it is set in about the same time, however.
I was going to have company for Thanksgiving and I didn't know much about cooking.  My husband introduced the idea of opening a can, warming the contents, and eating it.  So I had Little Maggie at the house cleaning and helping me watch the kids while I tried to read a recipe from my Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook.  She watched that for about two minutes and said, "I'll show you how to make a good dressing!" And she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment