Friday, November 18, 2011

Old Ways/New Ways/GFI

I had stuff that wouldn't work for several months...lights on one porch, outlets on both porches.
At one point in my life we had fuses.  In the house where we lived on Richard Wagner Str., we had one fuse for the whole house.  So we couldn't use the toaster and hair dryer at the same time, or the dishwasher and the dryer...you get the idea.  After fuses, we had breaker boxes.  Now keep in mind that if something quit working, somebody else figured out what was wrong and did something about it.
Now we have gfi and breakers.  So if something quits working and it isn't a breaker, it may not just be that whatever appliance I'm trying to operate is broken. 
We lost everything in our freezer after an electrical storm several years ago because I didn't know to push the button on the outlet.  Our insurance covered stupidity, which is a good thing for me.
This time it took two different electricians and both of us to find the gfi that needed to be pushed.  I am not sure, but I think I like a nice central location for things that screw up electrically. Maybe there is some point other than aggravation to a gfi, but I don't know what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment