Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Leaf Mold

Leaf mold doesn't sound great, but I've been looking forward to fall for the leaves that cover the ground.  I've read different reports that range from 50% to 300% moisture retention improvement when leaf mold is added to the soil. 
To pile the leaves and let them decompose, it takes 6 to 12 months to turn into leaf mold.  I used a leaf vac so the leaves are somewhat broken down.  I put them into a tall plastic garbage can, watering each bag as I emptied the leaf vac.  I don't know if I will get good air flow in that large garbage can.  I've tried it with plastic garbage bags, but they shredded.  Maybe leaf bags would have worked better.  Anyway, the garbage can I'm using is about the size that the garbage people use, wheels and all.
The next batch of leaves will go into the compost bin.  Lots of leaves, lots of places to amend.
http://organicgardening.about.com/od/compost/a/LeafMold.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment