Monday, December 26, 2011


Ok, I made a healthy-food lemon meringue pie.  I didn't use arrowroot instead of cornstarch, I used xanthum gum.  Next time I won't use as much.  The recipe called for 1/3 c cornstarch and so I used 1/3 cup xanthum gum.  I think half that much would have been plenty.  I had to keep adding water to get it to the right consistency.  I used Splend instead of sugar and hazelnut meal instead of flour for the crust.  I had hoped because it was nut meal it would stay crunchy.  It was mushy though.  Also, the filling wasn't lemony enough.  I think in addition to a lemon's juice and the zest from half of the lemon, I should use the zest from both halves and maybe some lemon flavoring.  It was pretty; it cut nicely, but it was not tart enough.  I used sugar for the meringue instead of splenda, though.
  All in all, I'm considering it a success because Larry didn't just eat the first piece, he ate another piece today...and didn't suggest throwing it away.
I made shortbread cookies using the real recipe.  It only called for 1/4 cup of sugar so I didn't think that was awful.  Next time, I may use half the flour and the other half nut meal.  I got several kinds from the King Arthur flour catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment