Thursday, December 13, 2012

Turnip Greens, Etc.

The turnip greens, mustard, and kale are big enough to start harvesting.  My husband plants them because we like them, they grow well here, and they are healthy for us on our low-carb, high-fiber diet.
I put them in a sink with some salt for a while.  Then I go over them leaf by leaf, making sure they are clean and removing the large veins.  Then I put them in a large pot with a little boiling water.  I put the lid on them until they wilt.  I do this over and over until I'm finished with however many he picked...usually about four quarts.
A lady at the hospital said she got a large garbage bag of greens from a neighbor.  She cleaned her washing machine and washed three loads of turnip greens in the washing machine.  She said it shredded them up but she didn't care.  She also said it didn't damage her machine.
My aunt had to have the repairman out to repair her dishwasher after she tried washing turnip greens in her dishwasher.
I don't think my washing machine would ever be food clean enough for me to wash turnip greens in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment