Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Hospital Volunteer

I went to an organizational meeting of hospital volunteers yesterday.  I don't know what I envisioned, but it wasn't that.  I filled out paperwork, and I guess I'll go at least a few times.
It was difficult to figure out what was going on.   We had waited a pretty good while when one of the members called the president and woke her up.  She was napping on the couch at her home.  So then we waited while she got there.  I listened to the minutes of the last meeting, and the treasurer's report.  Finally I said, "So this organization runs the gift shop, buys the stuff to stock it, sells it, and makes a profit?"
"Yes."
"What do you do with the money?" 
So then they listed some of the things they spent money on: an oversized wheelchair, an oversized scale, clocks to go in the patients' rooms, those med-alert things (there is a month fee involved) etc.
So that sounded worthwhile.  My hesitation is not that it isn't worthwhile.  I don't know if I can do gift shop. 
I think I was picturing reading to patients or something.  Well, I won't know until I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment