Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Today's Challenge

I usually plan to have one challenging thing (or one annoying thing) per day.  Today's challenge was to try to make Crab Cakes using a recipe claiming to be like Joe's Crab Shack.  I like Joe's Crab Shack, and I had a pound of crab meat.  I didn't have Old Bay Seasoning.  So I looked up a recipe for that and didn't have all the ingredients for it, so I put a dash of everything I had that was in that recipe.  Then I started substituting so the patty itself would be on my diet (Atkins).  I'd been planning this for a while.  I had saved end-of-loaves from low-carb bread so I tried making my bread crumbs.  That turned out all right, but not as easy as I had envisioned.  Then I used peanut oil to fry the patties.  I had to put a couple more eggs in the mixture so the crab and stuff would make a patty.  And I used crushed pork rinds instead of flour.  So I made them and Larry said they were good.  I do understand that he doesn't really like crab cakes all that much.  But he was willing to eat them.  I thought they were OK.  I didn't throw them away, but I don't know that I'll make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment