Thursday, August 9, 2012

I Am Selective

I am selective; I just select a lot of different things.  The seventh grade was the first year I attended a school with a library.  Before that, I had access to the classroom library and typically read everything they had.  But in the seventh grade, we had a school library:) 
I started with the A's and read everything I got to, one shelf at a time.  So I had a wide selection of fiction.
I still like everything.
I took a class once about inferring a country's culture by examining its literature.  I found it to be an extremely interesting course.
Thomas Jefferson, I think, said that an educated person was one who could talk to anybody. If a person listens to the other person, it is possible to relate more strongly to that person, even on a temporary basis.  Reading gives access to other points of view.
So I am selective, I just tend to select a lot of different things.  I realize that is sort of like being a gourmand rather that a gourmet, but I can live with that.
Having said all that, I want to say how much I enjoy the free books for Kindle.  I have a lot of books on it that I haven't read yet.  I collect certain authors, but it is difficult to find new authors.  The free ones allow me to read an author and decide if I want to buy the rest of what the author has available.  That doesn't happen all that often, but it has happened a couple of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment