Monday, March 26, 2012

Pick Your Old Skin

Look around at old people's skin.  I have, lately.  My own is the easiest to see.
If you want brown freckles when you're old, that's easy.  Don't worry about it.
If you want scars on your face, pieces missing from your nose and ears, that's easy, too.  Don't worry about it.
If you see an old person with nice, smooth, unblemished skin, and you want that, that's harder.  A very strong sun screen is good.  A hat is good.  A ball cap will protect your forehead somewhat, and maybe your nose.  But to protect your ears, you need to put sunscreen on them, or wear a brimmed hat, or both.
The dermatologist can help, but your first line of defense should be in your medicine chest and closet.
Yes, I look funny with that big straw hat.  I feel funny putting sun screen on.  I don't sun burn.  I didn't think I needed it.  But I keep getting places that don't heal up.  When I google the lab report, it says those places are caused by overexposure to the sun!  And I never laid out or frequented tanning salons.  I just like the outdoors, the beach and my flowers.  I don't plan to change that, so I'm adding sunscreen and broad-brimmed hats.
Oh, and don't forget garden gloves!

No comments:

Post a Comment