Sunday, January 18, 2015

Stew

This isn't the lowest-carb dish I've made, but I'm pretty happy with it. I wanted stew. So I started with round steak which I beat with a mallet, browned, and covered with water. It simmered for an hour. By the time it had simmered an hour, I had the rest of the things prepared. I picked a rutabega root a couple of days ago. I peeled and diced it to add to the stew when the meat was tender. I also added chopped celery (including the leaves), three carrots, a small sweet potato (chopped), onions and peppers from the freezer. I bought a bag of potatoes before Thanksgiving and decided to add a few of the smallest ones, also cubed.
Usually when I make stew it has onions, carrots, and potatoes. I still put those things in, just not a lot, and added other stuff.
It turned out good. I'd been thinking of trying a sweet potato cut into chunks for a while. It was all right, but not spectacular. But the stew was good. I'm glad because it was pretty huge.
After cooking the meat, I picked off all the fat and stuff other than meat. It makes eating it nicer. I cooked it with the fat in case there was some flavor lurking around in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment