Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ready for Frost

Today I finished with everything I intend to do about putting plants in the greenhouse.  I still have a few things to do in there, but when it freezes, nothing will be hurt.  I put one flower box with strawberry plants in the basement to see if they live through the winter with only that amount of protection.  If it does, it's good to know.  If it doesn't, I have plenty I put in the greenhouse already.  I'm not positive strawberries will do well wintered over in the greenhouse.  I know they are all right in the ground.  I have had some in the ground.  They did extremely well.  I didn't like bending over to pick them.  I didn't like squatting down to pick them.  I gave them to some Amish people who would come and dig them out.  Planting them in flower boxes is a convenient height, but I don't think they would survive the cold in just the flower boxes.  The guy at the nursery suggested putting the boxes on the ground and covering them with straw.  I had so many things planted in the same boxes that I had to separate the stuff anyway.  There must surely be a more practical way to be as lazy as I want to be.
I'm really happy that I have everything inside instead of waiting until the weather channel says that this is the night of the first killing frost and then having to dash around like crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment