Monday, February 13, 2012

Nit Picking

OK, not really.  I didn't even know the origin of that term until I started teaching.  But the common usage implies looking for small things wrong (hmm, making a mountain out of a mole hill?)
But I had been annoyed by a local medical clinic.  I didn't get a bill, but all of a sudden I'd have a notice from a collection agency.  I'm not the only one it happened to because I heard people complaining in the staff room at school.  I couldn't figure out how it was happening.
Then last week I actually read one of those insurance papers.  It denied coverage for something it would normally pay because the claim wasn't filed in a timely manner (nine months later, in fact).  So I went to the clinic and asked about it.  She said if it is their fault, they write it off.  I said that I thought they should but what they actually do is send it to a collection agency next.
She gave me a phone number and said to call the ones who do their billing.  So I did and have put a copy of the letter from the insurance company in the mail.  This would explain a lot.  The woman in billing said she had not gotten a copy of that and for me to send her one.
The medical care at that facility was fine, but the bookkeeping wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment